Tavin was very sick for a couple of days this week. It was his first illness of any major distress and we're all grateful he's finished with it and feeling better. After the scary night of taking turns with Kevin on the floor of Tavin's room to listen to him breathe, mist in the bathroom, holding him upright, and then taking him for a breathing treatment and steroid shots as soon as the doctor's office opened, I decided to make a list of the things I learned in our short time of worry.
1. I learned that my little boy trusts me. While we were in the doctor's office, Tavin had to have the treatment pictured above. He had never had to do anything like that, but when I explained it to him, his response was: "It's OK. Mommy help me."
2. I kept learning that he trusts me. When it was time for the steroid shots, I told him they would hurt and told him what we would do. The nurse asked him if he was ready. His response: "It's OK. My mommy will help me." He barely whimpered as he watched the nurse give him the shots. She told him he was very brave and he responded again: "My mommy helps me." I was the one fighting the tears!
3. I figured out I'm a pushover at heart. After our ordeal, Tavin repeatedly came up to me and said: "I love you mommy. You're my friend." Maybe that's why he basically got anything he wanted for about 48 hours...
4. I learned that my wonderful husband still knows how to help in the middle of the night. He never complains and he always tries to ease my feelings of stress. Kevin is a great dad!
I'm so glad Tavin is feeling better now--I remember a few rough nights with Darin. I think he got anything he wanted for a while too.
ReplyDelete