Today I was with Kimber at gymnastics. Tavin was playing on my ipod (which was kind of funny based on the conversation I was having with a couple of moms). It turns out that I am now officially that mom who has older children and still attending activities for my little kids with parents of only small children. I felt wise - not really - but it was very fun to feel like I was sharing something that had made a huge impact in my life and the lives of my children.
We started talking about books and reading. I got to share a couple of my favorite resources from when Kaylee was little and we started the adventure of our reading time together. I now read each night (mostly) with each child in their own reading time. I still read to Kaylee and it brings me such joy that I can't imagine not having that time with her each night. She was 3 when Tori was born and she wasn't adjusting perfectly to her new little sister. She needed time with mom ALONE. After prayer and much thought, our nightly reading time was born and it has become one of life's tender mercies for me. Such a seemingly small answer to prayer has become one avenue to building strong relationships with my children.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes...and a poem I keep over my desk.
“A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking.” Jerry Seinfeld
“Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers." Harry S. Truman
“Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.” Plato
“So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall.” Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
“Sixty years ago I knew everything. Now I know nothing. Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.” Will Durant
The Reading Mother
I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.
We started talking about books and reading. I got to share a couple of my favorite resources from when Kaylee was little and we started the adventure of our reading time together. I now read each night (mostly) with each child in their own reading time. I still read to Kaylee and it brings me such joy that I can't imagine not having that time with her each night. She was 3 when Tori was born and she wasn't adjusting perfectly to her new little sister. She needed time with mom ALONE. After prayer and much thought, our nightly reading time was born and it has become one of life's tender mercies for me. Such a seemingly small answer to prayer has become one avenue to building strong relationships with my children.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes...and a poem I keep over my desk.
“A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking.” Jerry Seinfeld
“Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers." Harry S. Truman
“Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.” Plato
“So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall.” Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
“Sixty years ago I knew everything. Now I know nothing. Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.” Will Durant
The Reading Mother
I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.
I miss reading to my children--but I LOVE reading to Delainey. As my children got to be "true" teenagers and we weren't able to read together any more--time just wasn't there or they had gone off to college, etc.--we shared books with each other. We weren't reading "together" but we were able to read and then discuss the books that we had both read. So...you actually can keep reading with your children forever!!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I have just been thinking over the past few weeks that I don't do enough of it anymore... I just don't know where the time goes, and though I do read to them every day, I just wish it were more like when Lexi was little... and that's what we did for FUN!!! Now, it's still fun, but there are other enticements for my children where their interpretation of fun comes into play! Sigh!
ReplyDeleteDid you take the pix of your kids on the sidebar?? Those are so beautiful!