Wednesday, June 9th was the 5th grade pool party. I think that's pretty cool and a little extreme. Students in California are congratulated for finishing elementary school (5th grade) and middle school (8th grade) with promotion ceremonies and parties. Kevin and I find it a little much and began all of Kaylee's 5th grade celebrations with quite a few knowing looks and smirks. Students walk and shake hands like they are graduating from high school. REALLY?
At the end of the celebrations, I had changed my tune a little bit. For us it became a time to reflect as a child goes through a major social transition. That means it sort of is like graduating from high school. We don't think high school marks a monumental time in your education since we expect at least one college degree before declaring a child to be finished with their formal education. However, we do find high school graduation an important time to celebrate a child's life changes, so celebrating middle school and high school changes is OK with me.
Kaylee with Shelby and Lauren
The 5th Graders of Vintage Hills Elementary School
Lauren, Kaylee and Shelby
Shawn, Shelby, Julia and Kaitlyn sang Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" at the promotion ceremony.
Kaylee is in line ready to walk in to begin the promotion ceremony. She thought she would get to wear shorts for the ceremony and didn't quite see the need for a dress. I'm just grateful she didn't feel the need to dress like it was the prom.
Kaylee with her teacher, Mrs. Cloonan, as her name is being called for the ceremony
Kaylee and I stopped by to see Tori as we were leaving school. All 5th graders leave right after promotion.
Kaylee with Juliet - They became good friends this year and will miss each other since they will be attending different middle schools.
Amy and Kathleen are twins and have been in class with Kaylee during 3 years of elementary school. They will also go to Margarita Middle School.
Trent and Kaylee have been friends since preschool.
Kimber LOVED watching Kaylee and being around for any picture moments.
Am I really old enough to have a middle schooler?
Madison, Lauren and Kaylee at California Pizza Kitchen after promotion
Kaylee with Mrs. Cloonan - her all-time favorite teacher
Congratulations, Kaylee!! I can't believe that you'll be in middle school this fall! I'm sure you'll excel there just as you have in elementary school. I'm excited to hear about all the adventures you have ahead of you. :-)
ReplyDelete