Welcome Home, Mark!

Stephanie and Mark Gilbert moved in across the street in April of 2009.  I could be slightly wrong about that.  What I'm not wrong about is how much we enjoy their family and how grateful we are that we're their neighbors.  Their little boys, Gavin and Dylan are the same age as Tavin and are his best buddies.  Stephanie and Mark are from NC, but it has to be more than that that makes it feel like I could be Stephanie's older sister (ish).  Mark serves in the military (Marines) and was deployed for over 7 months this time (He came home in October, before Halloween).  We're glad Stephanie and the boys have him home.  Thank you, Mark, for your service to our country.


Stephanie, Tandy and I had a little banner painting party before Mark got back.  The banners below are our handiwork.  I certainly need a better system for displaying such cute banners, but they were fun to create with good friends.  Our creativity is much better together.


Now for the best part.  A few of the neighbors gathered to say hello, thank you, nice to meet you... all with the feeling that it's important to honor those who protect our freedoms.










I can't look at this picture without getting teary-eyed.  I saw a paper chain shrink from all the way around the room to nothing.  I watched Stephanie make wonderful memories with her boys as she documented  life while Dad was away.  I saw Mark do his best to personalize some time for the boys from a vast distance away.  I saw Stephanie deal with little boys who missed their Daddy...  It all seemed OK when you saw those same little boys happy to have Daddy home.  Stephanie seemed very peaceful at the homecoming.  I can't imagine the relief she felt to have him safely home.  Thank you, Stephanie, for being the wife and mother that supports a military husband.  You do it with style and grace.

Comments