Kaylee has been very busy over the last couple of months. It has been constant juggling of soccer practices, basketball practices, soccer and basketball games. Kaylee has loved each and every moment. Well, basketball season has ended with a first round loss in the tournament and not making the school team. Soccer ended with her team winning the biggest and final tournament of the season - on a Sunday - so Kaylee played the Saturday games, helped her team get to the finals, and then isn't in the winning picture. I have watched my daughter ride the roller coaster that happens when you're young and trying to figure out who you are, what you're good at and where you fit - and I have found that I admire her a great deal. Her depth is much greater than mine at her age and I feel fortunate to be her mom.
Middle school basketball tryouts were tough. 55 girls showed up for our school. 20-25 showed up at the other schools' tryouts. Most of our girls were 7th and 8th graders and are given priority for the team. Plus, the tryouts were over 2 days and Kaylee couldn't go to the first one because it was on her birthday party. The coach at another school found out Kaylee didn't make the team and she was surprised. She would have loved to have Kaylee on her team. Kaylee never complained. She simply decided that her yearly goals should include some improvement in basketball fundamentals which would help her in tryouts. She knew the coach hadn't seen her play in a game and hadn't seen her scrappy strengths on the court. She never made excuses. Instead she made goals to improve.
Now what? Kaylee has been in therapy for almost a year and she is finally seeing real signs of improvement in her shoulders. She's probably headed back to the swim team, but now she's nervous that she's lost too much from being out if the water for the last year. I love the young woman I see and how she faces challenges (mostly). Of course we're normal in our household and have our share of meltdowns... I can't wait to report back on her next challenge and how she conquers it!
Kaylee was the scrappiest defender on her team. Nobody beat her down the court ON ANY TEAM! Soccer must have had her in amazing running shape.
Shooting was Kaylee's weak link, but she worked hard and kept improving during the season.
Kaylee stole the ball often during each game.
Look at the tongue!!! We never realized how much she has her tongue out while she concentrates in sports.
Kaylee is shooting a free throw and the ref is my friend, Don Skaggs, who is also the Stake Young Men's President.
Kaylee was a defensive DEMON! Her coach always put her on the other team's best player because Kaylee could shut them down.
She's so funny! Competitive and yet able to pose for me during an in-bounds play. Hee Hee!
Another stolen ball... It was so fun to watch her beat everyone up and down the court.
Soccer - Ready for the big kick!
Kaylee is so cute, even after a grueling game.
This is that winning picture. These were wonderful coaches and fantastic girls. Imagine having to see this picture as a 12-year-old girl. I'm grateful she keeps having experiences to confirm the rightness of her choices because this was hard to miss.

I wish we were closer so we could attend some of Kaylee's games. Let her know that Darin experienced some of the same things with his soccer team--and his basketball team.
ReplyDeleteThat's so funny she sticks out her tongue! I always did that too... not sure why... just did.
ReplyDelete