Ragnar Relay - My New Favorite Craziness!!!

I just ran my favorite kind of race and I never would have guessed that it would be so much fun!  Cathy Jacobsen organized our team of 12 runners to run the Southern California Ragnar Relay Race for 2011.  We were the I.R.S. - Insane Runners Society, Team #145. The race started in Huntington Beach, California and went 200 miles to Coronado Island.  We had 12 runners divided into 2 vans.  Each runner ran 3 legs of the race and we all ran in a specified and unchanging relay order.  Van #1 had legs 1-6, 13-18,and 25-30.  Van #2 had legs 7-12, 19-24, and 31-36.  I was runner #8, so I was in Van #2 and ran legs #8, 20 and 32.  Here's who participated.  Van #1: Cathy Jacobsen, Michael Larsen, Soledad Escobedo, Jeni Minor, Brent Jacobsen and Stacie White.  John Jacobsen and Dirk White drive their van and kept track of all our statistics.  Van #2: Aaron Kendrick, Me, Mark Nilsen, Barratt Phillips, Krissy Kendrick and Jeff Bishop.  Marci Phillips and Keri Nilsen were also in our vehicle to help with the race.

The race had a staggered start.  We started at 9:45 AM on Friday, April 15th in Huntington Beach.  Van #2 took over in the early afternoon.  Our van had the nasty hills and the nasty running times, but we all chose our legs and my legs gave me a great challenge.  I would choose the same ones again.  My first run was in the middle of the day, 6 miles and straight uphill the entire leg.  It was easily the hardest 6 mile race I have ever run.  I questioned whether or not I was actually a good runner at the end of that leg, but somehow I had still kept my average under 9 min/mile. 

My second leg was in the middle of the night and was SO FUN!!!  I had a nasty hill to start my second 6 miles, but cool temperatures and a quiet, peaceful atmosphere made it really fun.  I was really fast, which made it even more fun for me.  I had renewed my confidence as a runner.

My third leg was once again in the heat of mid-morning on April 16th in Pacific Beach.  What an experience!  Another 6 miles and I knew what I had left in the tank.  I was worried because the run had lots of turns and I was afraid of getting lost.  I knew exactly how hard I could push for one more 6-mile run and I was really fast.  I got to 6 miles and NO EXCHANGE...  I was lost and confused.  I had followed every sign.  I ended up running almost 9 miles and found my way to the exchange by finding the next leg and running backwards.  I felt like a fool, like I had done something wrong and let my team down.  It turns out that someone in Pacific Beach thought it would be funny to change the route signs.  I would love to have a conversation with that person...  However, it turned out to be a thought provoking experience.  At 6 miles I wanted to stop running.  I had given everything I thought I had to get to that point, but I knew that I couldn't stop because I had teammates counting on me to get to the exchange.  I didn't have time to be discouraged or to quit so I just kept running and trying to figure it out.  I prayed while I ran...  What a fantastic comparison to many of the trials we face in life!  We may not think we can do it and we may not know how to get where we need to be, but as long as we keep trying, we will be helped to find the answers we need.  Sounds a little like enduring to the end...

After a temper tantrum and a couple of other missed turns by other runners (not as costly as mine), we eventually finished that 200 mile race at Coronado Island.  Our race time was 28:52:58.  We finished 38th overall out of 479 teams and WE WON OUR DIVISION!!!  I couldn't believe it!  We did this race for fun and ended up winning our division!  We were 1st place in the Mixed Submasters Division, which means we had men and women and had team members in out 30's and older.  Second place in our division had a time of 29:23:12. 

I LOVE the women I run with on a regular basis and I am grateful for their uplifting friendships.

Here are some fun pictures of our group.


 We were required to wear flashing lights on our vests and headlamps when running at night.

 The finish line!

 The team and support crew:  Dirk, Jeff, Keri, Aaron, Krissy, Soledad, John, Cathy, Marci, Stacie, Tammy, Mark, Jeni, Brent and Barratt (Michael Larsen had to leave before our van got to the finish line)

 My favorite women runners...




Comments

  1. This almost makes me want to start running with you all! I do so love all of you, but... almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades... and I don't think that this qualifies as either of those! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are crazy! But it does seem like fun--if you like running--I know several people here that have done Ragnar Relay and they love it too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment